Thursday

“I give you a new commandment: love one another.”

“I give you a new commandment: love one another.”
By Erin Killebrew

Related Readings

Through my day to day interactions, I find myself as Christ’s disciple, when I love others and when I allow myself to be loved.

I can be Christ’s disciple in small, beautiful ways with those around me here on campus—a dinner with a friend, laughing uncontrollably, or simply hugs and smiles that fill everyday with the greatest blessings.

Christ’s love is present in those daily occurrences, but I’ve found his commandment can extend further to those I don’t even know.

Recently, I have struggled with the issue of immigration in our country and what that means as Christ calls us to love one another. Over spring break, I had the opportunity to experience a small part of life on the border of Arizona and Mexico.

It was difficult to see love through a wall separating countries, or Border Patrol setting up checkpoints and searching vehicles, or driving around the trails of the desert looking for migrants.

Or hearing the stories of deported migrants separated from their families, seeing the sole belongings of clothes, toys, and backpacks left behind on the trails, or seeing a tree on the trails filled with the underwear of women who have been raped.

Love one another.

As our country debates immigration, I remember those aspects of the border experience. But, Christ’s final commandment continually crosses my mind as hope somehow overcomes barriers.

Like the smiles and hugs received at the soup kitchen across the border in Mexico for deported migrants. Hearing how committed some are to be reunited with their families. Or how ordinary citizens are trying to raise awareness of the struggles at the border for the sake of human dignity and lives.

And simply in the word “Gracias” with a smile as migrants leave the soup kitchen not knowing where God will lead them next.

Love one another.

Christ’s call, his last commandment, allows me to hope in the power of love in the small ways of life and that those small acts of love will transcend all evil.

I find God’s love around many corners in my life daily, through my interactions on campus. That love empowers me to look beyond campus, to look further than what is right around me, and love those who are strangers, many miles away and see the dignity in all.

Erin Killebrew is a senior at Saint Louis University.

Full Story

No comments:

Post a Comment